Banana Cream Pie Recipe
Cook Time: 45 minutes|
- 1 pie crust, prebaked
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour (or 1/4 cup cornstarch)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cup whole milk
- 4 eggs, yolks only
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 4 eggs, whites only
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in a large sauce pan.
- Slowly add in the milk.
- Meanwhile, separate the 4 egg yolks and 4 egg whites. Set the whites aside for use later. Beat the yolks slightly.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it becomes thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat and cook 2 more minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Spoon some of the hot pudding mixture into the egg yolks and mix in order to temper them.
- Pour the egg yolks into the sauce pan and mix in well.
- Place pan back on heat and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla until the butter is completely melted. Set aside. If necessary, place a piece of plastice wrap over pudding to prevent skin from forming.
- Peel bananas and slice them into the bottom of the pie crust. There should be a good thick layer.
- Pour the pudding on top of the bananas until it almost fills up the pie crust. Meringue
- Combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar in a large bowl (or a stand mixer bowl).
- Beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.
- Turn the mixer on high and slowly add in the sugar. Beat on high for about 4 minutes or until there are stiff peaks. Make sure all the sugar is dissolved by rubbing a bit of meringue in-between your fingers.
- Spread the meringue on top of the pudding, sealing the edge to the pie crust. Pie
- Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes, just long enough to toast the meringue.
- Let cool and eat chilled.