Pumpkin and Lentil Soup Recipe
Cook Time: 50 minutes|
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 knob ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 200g red lentils
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- Place garlic, onion, ginger, lentils and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to boil before adding turmeric powder, chili flakes and a pinch of salt flakes. Lower heat and let mixture simmer, about 20 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, place pumpkin in a large pot of water. Bring water to boil and keep it boiling until tend, about 10 minutes. Then turn heat off and drain pumpkin.
- Bring lentil mixture back to boil and let boil for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Turn heat off and add pumpkin in. Let cool.
- Blend the soup into a puree, in batches. Onion Topping
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan.
- Add onion rings and fry until they soften and start to turn colour.
- Add garlic slices in and fry until onion rings are golden brown.