Grilled Steak With Black-eyed Peas Recipe
Cook Time: 30 minutes|
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak, patted dry
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches baby turnips, trimmed and quartered (or 3 medium turnips, peeled and cut into chunks)
- 12oz black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 4 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 tbsp fresh chive, chopped
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Grill the onion rings until charred, about 2 minutes per side.
- Combine 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a bowl, then brush over the meat.
- Grill the steak until slightly charred, about 3 - 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the turnips and cook until fork-tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the onion rings and vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Cut the steak into 3-inch-long sections along the grain, then thinly slice the meat against the grain.
- Stir basil and chives into black-eyed peas and serve with the steak.