Beetroot, Orange & Ginger Chutney Recipe
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes|
Servings: 750 grams
- 600g beetroot, raw
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 250 mL red wine vinegar
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 250g sugar (white granulated or muscovado)
- 1 clove garlic, grated (optional)
- 1 tbsp root ginger, grated
- Wash the beetroot and boil for 45 minutes until tender.
- Drain, peel and chop into small pieces.
- In a heavy base casserole pan add all the ingredients apart from the beetroot.
- Leave to cook for around 15 minutes before stirring in the beetroot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for around 1 hour. Make sure you stir it every now and again to make sure it doesn't catch and burn on the bottom.
- In the meantime sterilise your jars. Wash them in warm soapy water and pop in a cold oven set to 150°C/300°F/gas 2 for 10 minutes to dry out.
- When your chutney is ready carefully remove your sterilised jars with oven gloves and fill them with the piping hot chutney. Be really careful as the chutney is crazy hot!
- Seal immediately and leave to cool. This chutney will last about 6 months but always check the lid to see if anything unsavoury is growing on there. If there is then check the chutney before eating.