Chocolate Cake With Nutella Icing And Hazelnut Praline Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 250g unsalted butter
- 400g Nutella
- 1.5 - 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 - 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup water, hot
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, skinless and blanched
- 1/3 cup sugar
To make cake:
- Preheat oven to 180 C, 10 mins before baking.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with water and buttermilk, beating on low speed until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat on medium-high speed just until no traces of flour remain, about 30 seconds; do not overbeat.
- Divide the batter evenly into 2, 8 or 9-inch round pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake in pre heated oven about 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
To make icing:
- Beat butter until smooth.
- Add Nutella and beat together until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add icing sugar, mixing until combined.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Add additional milk or icing sugar as needed to reach desired consistency.
To make coffee syrup:
- Combine hot water, instant coffee powder and sugar. Let cool completely.
To make the praline:
- Melt sugar with ½ tbsp water in a pan.
- Once it starts turning brown, add whole hazelnuts.
- Swirl pan to make sure the nuts are coated completely with caramalised sugar.
- Transfer it to an aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Let cool completely. Crush using a rolling pin.
Assembling the cake:
- Place a cake on the serving plate. If you are using a cake board, spread some buttercream on the board and place the cake. This is done to avoid the cake moving around while doing the icing.
- Place cut out baking/parchment paper under the cake around the edges and without covering the centre, so that the extra icing will not be falling on the board. You can pull out these in the end.
- Moisten the top and sides of the cake with coffee syrup.
- Place some icing on the top of the cake and spread it.
- Sprinkle the hazelnut praline, if using.
- Place the next cake on top of this.
- Moisten the top and sides with the coffee syrup.
- Place some icing on top and start spreading it on the top and sides.
- Sprinkle the remaining hazelnut praline on top.