Artichoke and Lemon Soup Recipe
- 1 jar artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium floury potato [approx. 250g], peeled and cut into 2-3 cm cubes
- 1L vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest 1/2 a lemon
- 6 tbsp crème fraiche (100mL)
- salt to taste
- ~25g toasted almonds, chopped, to garnish
- chives to garnish, snipped into very short pieces
- Cut out the bottoms/bases from the artichokes with a paring knife; cut the bases into 1/4s, toss in 1 Tbsp of the olive oil to coat well, and reserve; chop the artichoke leaves medium fine.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a soup pan over a fairly gentle heat; add the shallots and garlic and soften; add the potato cubes, stock and oregano, cover and simmer until the potato is tender.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest, transfer to a liquidiser / food processor and puree the soup.
- Return the pureed soup to the saucepan; add the chopped artichoke leaves and bring to a gentle simmer; stir the crème fraiche and season with salt.
- Distribute the artichoke bottom pieces between the bowls, pour over the hot soups and garnish with chopped almonds and chives.