Salt Cod with Potatoes over Rice Recipe
Cook Time: 8 hours 35 minutes|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups rice grains + water to cook
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb salt cod (bacalao), soaked overnight
- The night before, cover the bacalao with cool water and refrigerate.
- Drain the bacalao, rinse with fresh water. Cut into 1" pieces.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat with the olive oil. When hot, add the potatoes and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and add in the cod. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in the parsley.
- In the meantime, cook the rice according to package instructions. Serve the stew over rice.