Chicken Vindaloo Recipe
Cook Time: 2 hours|
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 4-5 whole red chilies
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (add more if you like)
- Spice Mix:
- 1 tsp cloves
- 3-4 cardamoms, whole
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (optional)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Soak whole chilies, garlic cloves and ginger in the white wine vinegar for about half an hour. Grind and make a paste of it. Marinate chicken in the chili paste and let it sit in a refrigerator for at least an hour.
- For the dry spice: mix cloves, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric and peppercorn. Grind them in a spice or coffee grinder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan, add mustard seeds.
- Once they start to pop, add onions and fry them in oil until they turn light golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken with all the juices and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add dry spices along with salt, mix it all together and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let it simmer and cook until the chicken is done and curry is thick (stirring in between from time to time).
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or your choice of bread.