Steamed Mussels with Lemongrass Coconut Curry Recipe
Cook Time: 15 minutes|
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed & picked through (discard cracked shells and ones that don't close when tapped)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part grated with microplane grater (or 4 wide strips of lemon peel)
- 2 bottles clam juice (or vegetable broth + wine)
- 14oz coconut milk, shake the can vigorously to mix the fat with the liquid
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Thai curry paste, as desired
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 small skeins mung bean noodles, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes.
- scallions, chopped
- In a wok or large pot, turn heat to medium. When wok is hot but not smoking, add 2 tbsp curry paste and the lemongrass. Fry for 30 seconds to release its flavors.
- Add clam juice, fish sauce, sugar and coconut milk. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- If using lemon peel, discard lemon peel now. Taste the broth, add more curry paste if desired.
- Meanwhile drain mung bean noodles. The noodles should still be a little stiff.
- Mussels: turn heat to high and add mussels. Immediately cover with tight fitting lid. Steam on high for 4 minutes.
- Open lid, move mussels to one side, add mung bean noodles and cook for another minute uncovered.
- Use a large spoon to redistribute the mussels from the top to the bottom of the broth, cook another 30 seconds and it's done.
- Top with chopped chilies and scallions.