- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1+ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle position. Line a 12 muffin tray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine sugar and cocoa. Beat in oil, eggs, vanilla until smooth. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Scoop the batter into the molds.
- Bake ~25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing: In a saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then add milk. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Sift together cocoa and icing sugar. Blend into butter mixture and add vanilla. If consistency is too stiff, add more milk.
- Spread icing quickly over cooled cupcakes.
- Add a toothpick with a mortarboard to each cupcake.